Berrio Park is the epicenter of downtown Medellin. It is the place Antioquenos have gathered for generations as their main meeting point. The history of the park is closely linked to the one of La Candelaria church, built initially in 1680.
The “Main Square”, as it was referred to by locals was the anteroom of the church, and all parishioners gathered in it before and after church service. Between the years of 1784 and 1892, the public market was located there and it was often times the stage for public executions and grandiose political events.
Medellin, Colombia like all big cities with Spanish influence, was a place where the wealthiest families lived around the city square. In 1895, the name was changed to Pedro Justo Barrío Plaza in order to honor one of the main political figures in the region during the 19th century.
Before turning into the financial zone of Medellin, Berrío Park suffered intermittent fires in 1917, 1921 and 1922. The old houses that once lined the area had to be knocked down in order to make way for newer, more modern structures. Soon after, the area gave way more commercial residents such as banking and retail operations.
The greatest transformation to Pedro Justo Berrío Plaza came during the end of the 1980′s and beginning of the 1990′s, when it underwent a process of renewal and rehab in order to fix structure issues as well as redesign many elements. This work was done in order to address the new Medellin Metro station that was built in the area. Today, the park is primarily a meeting place for people who live and work in the area and has become popular as a financial district in Medellin, Colombia.
Location of Parque Berrio in Medellin:
METRO STATION: BERRIO
Photos of Parque Berrio: