Santa Fe de Antioquia:
Northwest of Medellin about an hour down the road exists a town that has gone relatively unchanged in looks and character since the 18th century. The narrow streets are lined with well groomed, whitewashed houses that are mostly single story construction, many of them complete with beautiful Spanish courtyards. You will also find elaborately carved and typical Antioquian woodwork around doorways and windows. This area is located in a warm and balmy valley outside of Medellin and receives much less rain and is therefore considered by the locals as one of the top recreational destinations outside of the city.
Founded in 1541 by Jorge Robledo, it served as the capital of Antioquia until 1826, when the government moved to Medellin. Also known as La Ciudad de la Madre (Mother City), Santa Fe de Antioquia has been declared a national monument since 1960. It was declared Headquarters of the Archbishop in 1985. Not to be missed is the Puente de Occidente (Bridge of the West) just outside of town a few miles. Constructed in 1894, it is listed as one of the longest suspension bridges in the world at 940 feet in length. Flowing beneath the bridge is the Río Cauca, one of the area’s most important rivers.